Friday, June 5, 2015

The Big Apple

My husband and I took a trip to New York City for the first time this spring. It was incredible! At first I was nervous to navigate our way around the city, but thanks to technology it was a breeze! We bought the New York City Pass (which I highly recommend if you plan on doing an all-out tourist vacation) and saved a ton of money with it. You can check it out here! We were able to get into almost any attraction you can think of without having to pay for each of them individually. After we added up the amount we spent on a five day pass and how much we would have spent on admission without it, we saved over $300! It was an amazing trip I’ll not soon forget. Here are my top ten favorite things we did in the city!

 10. Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum. I wasn’t sure about this at first but since it’s included with the pass, we thought we’d give it a try. It was so much fun! The figures are soooo realistic looking it’s creepy at first. My face in the first few pictures I took with them was priceless – pure fear masked with a smile! Don’t mind my disheveled appearance below – this was a rainy day walking around the city! I was really concentrated on striking a J. Lo diva pose!


 9. Coney Island/Luna Park. We had a lot more fun here than I would have imagined. The rides are surprisingly intense! We had to stop after riding about 5 stomach-churning rides in a row because we started to feel queasy!! Definitely should have broken them up with a “kiddie” ride or two. Then we got to try a Nathan’s Famous hot dog. Delicious!


8. The Metropolitan Museum of Art. We could have gone to this museum all day, every day of our vacation and not see everything there is to see! It’s such an incredible collection of art and artifacts. One of my favorite t.v. shows is Mysteries at the Museum so any time we go to a museum, I’m pretty much in heaven.

7. Bryant Park. Even though there was nothing going on there when we visited, I HAD to go to the place that has hosted New York Fashion Week!! It was a gorgeous park. I loved sitting next to the fountain and the lawn and then looking up at the skyscrapers around us. That contradiction makes NYC parks so cool.

6. Little Italy/Chinatown. We had such a good time exploring these areas of the city. We shared some bruschetta and red wine at an outdoor restaurant in Little Italy and then made our way to Chinatown where we had the best dumplings and bubble tea I’ve ever had at Vanessa’s Dumpling House. Most of our vacations revolve around exploring new food places in the cities we visit so this was an especially fun part of the trip! FYI Ariel is the cute girl in the pink jacket in the photo with me. ;) She is a college friend who lives in New York and spent a few days with us. NYC to visit her was looooong overdue!

 

5. Chelsea Market. If I lived in New York, it would be hard to get me away from this place. I could walk around random little shops for days, and Chelsea Market has no shortage of those! Also, we had lunch at Los Tacos No. 1. They were the best tacos I’ve ever had….no exaggeration.

4. Empire State Building & Top of the Rock. We visited the Empire State Building around 10 AM for a daytime view of the city. It was beautiful! Being that high and looking down at NYC is something I’ll never forget. We also went to the Top of the Rock around 9 PM for a nighttime view of the city. The sparkling lights of the city were mesmerizing!! It was hard to stop staring!


3. Broadway Shows. We went to see Book of Mormon, and I had heard nothing but rave reviews – and for good reason! We didn’t stop laughing the whole time. Not sure what else you could expect from a Broadway show by the creators of South Park! It was also fun to make it a nice date night. We got a little dressed up, went out to eat before the show, and walked Times Square after.

2. September 11th Memorial & Museum. I am so grateful I got to see this memorial and the museum. We spent a good 2.5 hours here without even looking at our watches. There is so much to reflect on and so many lives that were touched that you get to connect with. This is a must-see for anyone going to New York.

1. Statue of Liberty. I know, this is soooo touristy of me, but this was my favorite part of the trip. Seeing the statue in person was such a cool feeling. I’d only ever seen it in school books growing up. She really is magnificent just like the USA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment